Since 2015, Ripon City of Sanctuary has been collecting clothing donations for asylum-seekers and refugees in the wider region. We are grateful for the generosity of people in and around Ripon who have generously donated good-quality clothing which we deliver to:
- Wakefield District of Sanctuary, which deals directly with newly arrived asylum-seekers, who usually arrive with only what they stand up in.
- Welcome House and Open Doors, two refugee support projects in Hull.
- IPC in Middlesbrough
- PAFRAS in Leeds.
For the sake of the individuals’ dignity, please only donate high-quality used or new items. Please read the section below on donating safely during COVID. Also, note that this page changes often because needs can change daily, and we try to be as responsive as we can.
We currently need (updated 23 December 2021):
- NEW or VERY lightly worn shoes, especially men/s (trainers would be ideal)
- Quality used luggage including suitcases, rucksacks and holdalls
- ADULTS ONLY – new or very lightly worn sweatshirt/hoodie tops and jogging bottoms
- ADULTS ONLY – Quality used or new clothing especially coats/jackets and jumpers, and skinny jeans
- Quality used or new nightwear
- Black leggings for girls, teens and women, from age 8 up
- Baby playmats
- NEW felt pens, crayons and colouring books (for adults and children)
We sometimes need (but please check with us first):
- Moses baskets
- Good towels
- School stationery like pens, pencils, sharpeners, rubbers, pencil cases, ruled pads, etc
We don’t accept:
- Bedding – no duvets, pillows, duvet covers, sheets, blankets etc, please.
- Household goods and furniture, including lamps and kitchen equipment
- Toys including soft toys and hand-made teddies.
How can you donate clothing safely?
- We’re asking you to wash everything that can be washed before you donate it (other than brand-new items), although obviously you can’t wash a heavy coat, for example
- Please put everything into a strong plastic bag and tie the top
- Then leave the items untouched for at least 1 week before contacting us.
Can you give money instead?
- We accept cash or cheques made payable to ‘Ripon City of Sanctuary’
- You can donate online (but please tell us you’ve done so, so we can ring-fence it for clothing).
Our policy is not to pass money to other organisations, so we’ll use your donation to buy items which we will then pass on.
How can you get donations to us?
Please just drop us an email.