Since 2015, Ripon City of Sanctuary has been collecting clothing donations for asylum-seekers and refugees in the wider region. We are grateful for the generosity of people in and around Ripon who have generously donated good-quality clothing which we deliver to:
- Wakefield District of Sanctuary, which deals directly with newly arrived asylum-seekers, who usually arrive with only what they stand up in.
- Welcome House and Open Doors, two refugee support projects in Hull.
- IPC in Middlesbrough
- PAFRAS in Leeds.
For the sake of the individuals’ dignity, please only donate high-quality used or new items. Please read the section below on donating safely during COVID. Also, note that this page changes often because needs can change daily, and we try to be as responsive as we can.
Donating to the Afghan crisis – At this time, it’s too early for any independent Afghan refugees to be in the UK in any numbers. Therefore, donations will continue to go to the benefit of refugees already in the UK. It’s important that we are transparent about this. As soon as Afghans in need arrive, we will update this page. Here’s more about exactly what’s needed to support Afghan refugees right now.
We currently need (updated 20 September 2021):
- Quality used luggage including suitcases, rucksacks and holdalls
- NEW shoes and flip-flops
- NEW underwear including socks (or donate to our JustGiving underwear appeal)
- NEW t-shirts
- NEW sweatshirt/hoodie tops and jogging bottoms
- Quality used or new clothing especially coats/jackets and jumpers
- Quality used or new nightwear
- Black leggings for girls, teens and women, from age 8 up
- NEW toiletries (shampoo & conditioner, deodorant, hand cream and nail clippers especially)
- Baby playmats
- Children’s books
- NEW felt pens, crayons and colouring books (for adults and children).
We sometimes need (but please check with us first):
- Moses baskets
- Good towels
- Soft toys
- School stationery like pens, pencils, sharpeners, rubbers, pencil cases, ruled pads, etc
We don’t accept:
- Household goods and furniture
- Toys (other than as above)
How can you donate clothing safely?
- We’re asking you to wash everything that can be washed before you donate it (other than brand-new items), although obviously you can’t wash a heavy coat, for example
- Please put everything into a strong plastic bag and tie the top
- Then leave the items untouched for at least 1 week before contacting us.
Can you give money instead?
- We accept cash or cheques made payable to ‘Ripon City of Sanctuary’
- You can donate to our JustGiving new underwear appeal
- You can donate online (but please tell us you’ve done so, so we can ring-fence it for clothing).
Our policy is not to pass money to other organisations, so we’ll use your donation to buy items which we will then pass on.
How can you get donations to us?
Please just drop us an email.