Clothing needed for asylum-seekers and refugees
Since 2015, Ripon City of Sanctuary has been collecting clothing donations for asylum-seekers and refugees in the wider region.
We are grateful for the generosity of many in Ripon and the surrounding villages who have regularly given good-quality clothing for men, women, and children. As of March 2021, we have resumed regular deliveries to:
- Wakefield District of Sanctuary, which passes donations on to the initial accommodation centre at Urban House, Wakefield. Most asylum-seekers arrive there with only what they stand up in.
- Welcome House and Open Doors, two very good refugee support projects in Hull.
For the sake of the individuals’ dignity, please only donate high-quality items.
For the sake of COVID safety, please read the section below on donating safely.
We currently need:
- Clothing including coats/jackets, jumpers, hoodies and nightwear
- Luggage including suitcases, rucksacks and holdalls
- New or nearly new shoes
- New underwear for all ages including children
- New toiletries (shampoo & conditioner, deodorant and hand cream especially)
- Black leggings for girls, teens and women, from age 8 up
- Baby playmats
We occasionally need (so please check with us first):
- Good towels
- Soft toys
- Secondary-school stationery like pens, pencils, sharpeners and rubbers, pencil cases, ruled pads, etc
- Art & craft materials like felt pens, colouring books (adult and child), kits, knitting supplies, etc
We can’t accept:
- Toys (other than soft toys)
How can you donate safely?
- We’re asking you to wash everything that can be washed before you donate it (other than brand-new items), although obviously you can’t wash a heavy coat, for example
- Please put everything into a strong plastic bag and tie the top
- Then leave the items untouched for at least 1 week before contacting us.
Can you give money instead?
We occasionally accept cash or cheques made payable to ‘Ripon City of Sanctuary’ but since our policy is not to pass money to other organisations, we’ll use it to buy items to donate.
Please just drop us an email.